Computer Grant Program
To support the geeky needs of our community, we grant computers to organizations through our Computer Grant Program.
Read on for more information!
To receive a computer grant from Motor City Free Geek, you must be a nonprofit organization, and be able to pick up your computers from our Ferndale location.
Grants are intended for organizations. Individuals may earn a computer by participating in one of our volunteer programs. Granted hardware should remain within the organization, and not be passed along or re-donated (except to MCFG) for a period of one year from the date of the grant.
Equipment that can be granted to qualifying organizations, depending on availability:
- PC Systems loaded with Ubuntu Linux and OpenOffice.org
- CRT Monitors
- Network components such as routers, switches, network adapters, or hubs
- Apple® Mac desktop computers
Motor City Free Geek does not provide or grant operating system software other than Ubuntu Linux . If you need an operating system other than Ubuntu Linux, your organization will be responsible for installation and support. However, if you receive PCs from Motor City Free Geek and keep Ubuntu Linux on your PCs, we can provide you with one year of Tech Support. Ask your Grant Shepherd for more details.
Items with Limited Availability
If you can demonstrate that your organization needs the following items:
- LCD monitors
You can apply for a maximum of 3 of each. If you need more, after 90 days, you may re-apply. It is necessary to detail why you need laptops as opposed to PCs and why you need LCD monitors as opposed to CRT monitors. Please be as specific as possible.
Please follow these steps to request a computer grant:
- Determine your organization’s specific computer need in order to articulate this through the application.
- Fill out the grant request thoroughly.
- A Grant Shepherd will contact you shortly. Please keep in mind that we may only be able to partially fill the grant request. For instance, if ten computers are requested, we may only have six available for you.
- Show up to pick up your equipment only at the time you agreed to with your Grant Shepherd.
Now that you know how our Grant Program works, please continue on to the Computer Grant Request form.